Community Service Crew
Piedmont youth have a long tradition of meeting the needs of their own community, and those of surrounding communities with more pressing needs. The Community Service Crew is a team of high school students who want to build their leadership skills while serving others, and having fun. The crew meets monthly to plan events and run service projects.
Recent activities include:
- Preparing and serving hot meals at St. Mark’s Church in Berkeley;
- Helping at the Alameda County Community Food Bank;
- Assisting the City of Oakland during its Thanksgiving dinner service for the needy;
- Environmental work at local creeks and along the shoreline around the bay;
- Supporting the learning disabled residents at Clausen House through work at their Thrift Shop.
- Renovating homes of low-income elderly Oakland residents with Rebuilding Together Oakland.
- During the summer of 2008 the Crew embarked on an exciting and rewarding community service trip to Costa Rica which we intend to repeat as an annual summer event. Activities on the trip included: sorting for recycling; planting cucumbers & trees; picking up trash around a community and clearing a water supply of overgrown brush. The participants took time off to enjoy zip lining, white water rafting, visiting an animal shelter and, of course, all the beautiful scenery.